American Rebel Car Club UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years

4 posters

Go down

Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years Empty Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years

Post by Bandit Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:48 am

Thinking of buying a 66 Pontiac Parisienne convertible that's been parked in storage for around 8 years.I have worked out the cost of putting it back on the road,around £1000-1500.If i can get the car for around £3500 i can manage to get it back on the road.

The thing i am unsure about is what will happen with the engine and trans after i put a few miles on it.Is there a good chance there will be no problems and it will carry on working fine once up and running or am i likely to end up having to do a complete engine and trans rebuilds.

The guy who owns them parked them there,paid rent for first month then never paid again after that and never went back to start the cars,there is 5 cars there altogether.Storage owner can't remember which cars actually drove in there,he said the two yank cars did but not sure of the others.
There is the Pontiac,a Packars Clipper in pink,around a 56 i think,mk3 Cortina,MG midget,chrome bumper one,Mercedes but not sure of year,looks like a 60's with fintail rear wings and a Vauxhall Cavalier convertible.
Guy is owed about £19k in rent so is hoping to get it by selling the cars.
Bandit
Bandit

Back to top Go down

Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years Empty Re: Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years

Post by thirdgen Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Go for it they all need stuff all the time anyway be cool car
thirdgen
thirdgen

Back to top Go down

Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years Empty Re: Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years

Post by Transam Kev Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:32 am

yep go for it change all fluids before you even turn the key Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years 1267414485
Transam Kev
Transam Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:27 pm

I will be going for it if he sells and if i can sell my Lincoln.It's a bit awkward trying to get it as i go through the son of the storage owner.He doesn't really want to get involved as he says it's pretty much his dads fault that they he hasn't made the guy pay from the start,the perils of working with friends i guess,they are more likely to take advantage.
I thought he had already contacted the owner to ask about selling them but turns out he hasn't.
My wife said if i buy it i need to get enough for my Lincoln to buy it and do the work on it so i was hoping to get it for £500 at most.Problem is i told him i thought it was worth between £5000 and 8000,but at that time i only looked at the outside,i think being RHD will put a lot of people off.But at the time i wasn't thinking of buying it.
I can't imagine the owner having £19k to pay the rent,apparantly he is in his 80's and in poor health so the storage owner really needs to get it sorted now.
If i don't get it then i am getting these for my Lincoln http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262124163019?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Bandit
Bandit

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:25 am

make sure you take the plugs out and put some oil down bores then turn over by hand if possible before trying to start
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 am

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:make sure you take the plugs out and put some oil down bores then turn over by hand if possible before trying to start

Will do Buying a car that's not been run for at least 8 years 1267414485 Got a feeling i won't get it,spoke to the son of the storage owner,turns out he still hasn't even mentioned anything to the cars owner yet.Can't see the guy having the £19000 lying around to pay him though.My problem is time as if i get it i would want it up and running before july and would need to know it's reliable by then,plus i need time to sell my Lincoln first.
Gonna give it until first weekend in april as that's my next car meet so will advertise my car there as there was a guy who goes that wanted to buy my Lincoln,but that was a few months back.
Bandit
Bandit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down