American Rebel Car Club UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications.

+3
BRYDENGTA
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
The Z'eer
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 Empty Re: Re: Exterior restoration/modifications.

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 pm

very neat Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 Empty Re: Re: Exterior restoration/modifications.

Post by thirdgen Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm

almost a pity you cant see the underside.

nice

thirdgen
thirdgen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks gentlemen Smile appreciated. I managed to get a uniform finish on the subframe rails, which looks good. The rest I've not bothered with as I'm leaning towards Upol's Raptor as an anti-stone chip coating which would look better sprayed than rollered.
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Began work on cleaning out/restoring the rear arches. Removing the underseal was, as usual a nasty job but G.M. s product certainly held back the rust.

NO corrosion within the arch...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 146D7FE7-CF49-4C55-B7FF-D2E1374E7F4B_zps1vsphb2b

...painted with Jotun 87 as primer before the Raptor.

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 7BC72AA2-17A9-4D83-A297-D6DF74AAACC8_zpsvvuoqlnc
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by BRYDENGTA Fri May 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Great work mate, good to see a bit more progress with it Cool Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485
BRYDENGTA
BRYDENGTA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:34 pm

BRYDENGTA wrote:Great work mate, good to see a bit more progress with it Cool Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485

Thanks mate, encouragement appreciated! Smile Really is time consuming, making sure all the corrosion is removed from the individual areas.

Passenger side attended too, and rear rails treated as well (thankfully surface corrosion only)

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 6144C792-63B8-4ABE-BD13-5087E33E670E_zpsnztcf6bv
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Next, on to the rear axle...

Citric acid gel, mechanical abrasion and elbow grease began to rid the axle of rust...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 19B2657F-BC25-41C5-95E6-C13BC635E824_zpsozmfyjss

...and with a little more effort it was clean...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 D9C7D40E-7B9D-4E3B-8BB8-895C3A0F858F_zpsoh1xdw5b

The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by BRYDENGTA Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Very cool mate

You can come and do mine next lol Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485
BRYDENGTA
BRYDENGTA

Back to top Go down

Post by Webbel Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Will look great when you finish it.....lot of hard work but worth it..well done
Webbel
Webbel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks gentlemen, the encouraging comments are appreciated. I do enjoy the restoration/modification of the Camaro but it is a lengthy and laborious task ensuring its done properly.

I don't have access to sand blasting equipment, and not would the location of the car support such a process. The citric acid gel does perform well and combined with mechanical abrasion the steel really cleans up well. Nearly done with the corrosion removal (thankfully!!!) just gotta decided on what I'll use as a top coat over the epoxy mastic.
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Before I started on the Camaro, only a very basic set of tools did I have for automotive work. Over the past couple of years since I bought the car some of the expenditure has obviously gone on various tools for the required work.

I dare say most of you chaps have one, but this is my first compressor.

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 CmxDl6eh

A little heavy and awkward to unwrap/set up, but once put together...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 6EYP3vTh

100ltr 3 h.p Wolf Dakota 14.5 CFM, although free air delivery is just over 9 CFM. However this should be enough to paint individual body panels with an LVLP gun.
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by SUPERCHARGEDGTA Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
SUPERCHARGEDGTA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm

SUPERCHARGEDGTA wrote:Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485

Cheers! Smile

Spent a little time researching what's required for an adequate home DIY installation. This provided some pretty helpful info http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/air-system.htm highlighting the need to remove moisture from the system.

Never attempted any form of plumbing before (more research) and so after purchasing this...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 2BQlc1qh

...putting it together resulted in this...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 XlMfYe5h

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 K9nwAuuh

The inlet is to the right hand side, the air will cool and condense in the "S" bends where moisture will be caught. Any further moisture will be caught in the sloping pipework and in this...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 J03QUs4h

...which also contains a regulator (the compressors regulator is known to be unreliable) I pressure tested the system yesterday with flowing and standing mains water (also to clean out any residual flux) pleasingly no leaks whatsoever Smile
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:22 am

Filter/regulator plumbed in...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 0fo5typh

...along with inlet, pressure gauge and ball valves...

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 CeYHpKVh

...the system is finished.

Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 A9KJ8Cah

Tested to 120 PSi, left it pressurised for two hours. A negligible leak apparent, a 10 PSi drop over that time period. Planning on locating the leak in the coming week, thankfully minimal moisture present in the system after usage.
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by BRYDENGTA Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Impressive work mate Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485
BRYDENGTA
BRYDENGTA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z'eer Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 am

BRYDENGTA wrote:Impressive work mate Re: Exterior restoration/modifications. - Page 2 1267414485

Thank you Smile I managed to solve the leak(s) pleasingly the soldered joints weren't at fault. Compression joints and a few thread couplings were the culprits. The intention on the this set up is to allow usage of air tools and a Schutz gun. Once a shed is built in the garden another hard pipe set up can be constructed for spray booth usage.
The Z'eer
The Z'eer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum